Tuesday, April 13, 2010

U.S. Marine Corps

U.S. Marine Corps
Boot Camp
1963








Rifle Cleaning
Me and my best friend John

We enlisted on the "Buddy Plan". After we got out and John had returned from Viet Nam as a door gunner on a Helo we ran into each other while I was standing in front of a club waiting for my date. He had just bought a new convertible and was going to a party with another friend who had just gotten home. They asked me to jump in the back. I told them I didn't want to stand this girl up but that we could go out the next night. 30 minutes later they were both dead when they missed a curve in the road. 



Rifle Range
Next to graduation day, rifle qualification is the most important day in boot camp. If you don't qualify as at least a "Marksman" you don't graduate!
I qualified "Sharpshooter".

Platoon 270
"Honor Platoon"
Marked myself in the photo with white  "x"
Graduation Day
Just finished 12 weeks of boot camp and waiting for transportation to take us to Camp Pendleton for 4 more weeks of combat infantry training.
"November" Company
Infantry Training Regiment
Camp Pendleton
Marked myself in the photo with white "x"









Aviation Crash Fire Rescue School
"Crash Crew"
I qualified for a specialty school so I chose this school because I wanted to be around anything that had to do with aircraft and it sounded like a lot fun doing a lot of fun stuff. A "Crash Crew" assignment could be a  "Station" or base assignment or as in my case a "Fleet Marine Force" assignment where you were deployed with the squadrons which could include Atlantic or Pacific operations. I was assigned with the FMF Atlantic Squadrons.  


Aviation Crash Fire Rescue

 In the old days we just brought in a tanker full of contaminated JP4 aviation fuel, filled an aircraft and surrounding area and fired that puppy up. Of course, if it was your turn to be the "Rescue Man", you got to straddle the cockpit covered in firefighting foam, surrounded by black acrid smoke and lift a 150 pound asbestos dummy out of the cockpit and hand him to your partner standing on a ladder aided by a "Hand Line Man" who would be standing ankle deep in JP4. Of course when the real thing happens the aircraft may have real victims, live ordinance including bombs, rockets, ammunition, and no one has the time to take photos. In this particular exercise, I'm the "Hand Line Man" in the center. That was "Old School". They later developed safer training techniques. Also, in those days, we did not have any self contained air breathing apparatus. Our only air breathing apparatus was our lungs.  


Today!

I recently visited the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar which is close to my house. I had an opportunity to spend a little time with the Crash Fire Rescue Teams of today. These guys are real pros! They are far better trained and are definitely equipped with better and far more sophisticated equipment. This is the NCOIC who gave me a tour and explained the improvements. He even ran a surprise drill for the guys so I could see how fast they could respond and be ready to roll. I was very impressed!


This is the crew responding to the alert that they didn't know was coming. They were probably glad to see the  old guy with the camera get the hell out of the area.
I got a photo with the equipment thanks  to  the boss!
One of the best things about being a former Marine is that all Marines share a mutual  bond and respect that I have had the pleasure and honor to experience since 1963.  




Before leaving, the NCOIC gave me one of their unit patches as something to remember my visit. I keep it on my desk as a reminder of the visit and the Marines I met.
The following poem is dedicated to all firefighters:

While smoke and flames around me roar,
and air so faint I can breathe no more.

I fear no evil in this hour,
for I am with a greater power.

And when the danger finally ends,
I’ll spend that time with my friends.

For ours is not to fear or flight,
ours is to the fires we fight.



A few of my other poems:


"Summer Storm"

I was fortunate to have received an invitation from Brig. General Ward to fly out to Camp Pendleton from Houston to observe a Marine Corps Amphibious Assault Training Exercise. A Marine Corps aircraft flew to Houston from the 2nd Marine Wing in N.C. and we flew from Houston to Coronado Island, San Diego. We flew to Camp Pendleton on a Marine Corps Helo.  


While I was waiting for my Helo at the Naval Air Station in Coronado, I happened to run into an old Marine Corps Gunny from Houston who just happened to be waiting in the reception area to catch another flight. He asked what I was doing there and I explained that I had received an invitation from General Ward to watch an amphibious assault training exercise in Pendleton and they had made arrangements for me to stay in the Bachelor Officers Quarters. It  was a great way to  start the visit with a surprise meeting with one of the best Marines I  have ever known.

This is me getting ready to board the Marine Helo for the flight back to San Diego from Camp Pendleton for my return to Houston.
Marine Corps Aircraft arrives Houston for trip to California.
Our Pilot from Houston to San Diego
Cobra Providing Close Air Support
Interior of my Helo
Lead Helo in our formation.
Navy ship offshore
LCAC Landing craft returning to ship offshore after beach landing.
Marine landing on beach.
Smoke on beach and landing zone.
Marine Force Recon with Cobra in background.
Marines on beach with LCAC in background.
My Helo standing by for flight back to San Diego from Camp Pendleton.
My Helo pilots in flight.
My Helo pilot standing by for takeoff
Helo crewmember delivering flight gear
My Helo Crew waiting for me to board
Other Helos in our formation.
Marines on the beach providing close air support coordination between Cobra Helos and Attack Fighters.
I took this photo from the Crew Chiefs position of the other Helos flying in our formation.
This is one of the Marine Snipers with his gear.
Had a lot of fun playing on the big toys. They say the only difference between men and boys is the size of their  toys and the Marine Corps has some real cool toys.
This is one of the Recon Marines who landed in advance of the main assault force.
General Richard Neal
Assistant Commandant Marine Corps

This was another event at the Marine Corps Barracks in Washington, D.C.  I had received an invitation from General Neal to attend a cocktail party and reception followed by "Evening Parade" on the parade deck including the "Marine Corps Band" and "Silent Drill Team". Receiving an invitation to an event like this from the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps is a big deal for a former Marine and a memorable event!


This was another event in which I was honored to receive a Community Service Award from the Marine Corps at a Marine Corps Birthday Ball. Actually, a friend of mine who was a Lt. Col. and Recon Marine arranged the award as a surprise. Again, this came as quite a surprise and this is one of my most memorable events and awards. This was actually the photo my publisher choose for the back cover of my last book so if you have a copy of my book you will recognize this photo and now you know the story behind it.




U.S. Marines

While others plan and often dream,
only a few will be Marines.

And when anchors fall on foreign scenes,
their shortly followed by Marines.

And when it's time to fill the graves,
we only look to the best of the brave.

And when the battles finally done,
all will know the Marines have won.

So when you sleep and have your dreams,
be thankful for the U.S. Marines.


 When I enlisted, I was sworn in at the State Marine Corps League Convention. I was sworn in by the Commanding Officer (Recon Marine) of the Marine Corps Recruiting Station. Also in the newspaper photo is the Commandant of the Marine Corps League and my State Representative.   





Marines Hymn

From the Halls of Montezuma,
To the Shores of Tripoli;

We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea;

First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;

We are proud to claim the title
Of UNITED STATES MARINES.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze,
From dawn to setting sun;

We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun;

In the snow of far off northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes;

You will find us always on the job --
The UNITED STATES MARINES.

Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;

In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve;

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes;

They will find the streets are guarded
By UNITED STATES MARINES.




More photos being edited and in process of posting!