Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Houston

I lived in Houston for about 30 years. I was recruited to fill a management position that included government affairs activities with both U.S and foreign government agencies here and abroad. I worked for this group for 13 years before forming my own consulting group specializing in International Security.

Houston was fun with a full range of great activities! 
This is me and my brother on the left. We both lived next to each other on the 2nd T of the local country club. This photo was taken from the back deck of his house. The country club hosted an annual celebrity golf tournament so we would barbecue, sit on our deck and visit with the celebrities while they waited to T off.

Hunting & Fishing


Sailing
  
Running was a favorite activity. 3 miles before and after work with more on the weekends. This is one of the many "charity fun runs" I enjoyed. I ran two marathons which I did not enjoy. Been there and done that!

This is one of the many social events in Houston. Since I was heavily involved with the Filipino community, I was asked to be their honored guest and crown the new Miss Texas Philippines. She is the niece of my ex-wife who had been Miss Collegiate Philippines while attending college in the Philippines.
This was another social event with my son at the Marine Corps Birthday Ball. This was  also around the same time that I did an interview with a local Houston station. I had thought it was just going to be business interview for the local market, but the next day I received calls from friends and relatives around the country to let me know they saw the interview in their city. Apparently the networks picked it up because the subject was terrorism.  Following is a link to that video:   Houston News Interview

Annual Celebrety Golf Tournament



Willie Nelson is without a doubt one of the nicest people I have ever met. I first met him when I was at the country club just standing on the back deck. He walked up and started visiting and at first I didn't recognize him. I told him that I was in a bar and "On the road again" was playing when I made the decision to relocate to Houston and accept a job with a defense contractor. I told him that every time I hear that song, I think back to that decision I made. He said he was playing in the golf tournament and I said I would see him later since I lived on the 2nd T.  
Me and Willie
This was taken on the back deck at the Woodlands Country Club which was just about a block from my house.   
Willie and Kids
James Garner is another great guy.

James Garner and Kids










Leslie Nielsen was another great guy.


Terry Bradshaw is a real good old boy.

Houston Home

I included a lot of guy stuff on this page so now I'm going include some photos for the women in my family. In particular a lot of friends and relatives who never had a chance to make it to Houston before I retired. We had 5 bedrooms and 3 1/2  baths for two people so we had plenty of guest room.  A house is nice when your are married but a condo overlooking the Pacific ocean better fits my current retired lifestyle.  




More photos being edited and in process of posting!